Puppies are so cute they can be hard to resist or to scold. But when you bring a new puppy home it’s important you lay down some simple house rules right away. If you don’t, your puppy is likely to get into some bad habits that will be hard to break.
When laying down your rules though, it’s important you do so in a positive way. If you shout at your puppy when they do something wrong, they won’t know why you’re shouting. They’ll only become fearful of you and that’s not what you want.
So resist the temptation to scold them when they do something wrong. Instead, shower them with praise and attention when they do something right.
It’s also important that you’re consistent when applying your rules. And not only you, but the rest of the family too. You must all apply the same rules all the time or your puppy will get confused.
Here’s a few simple rules it’s a good idea to enforce from the moment you first bring home your puppy…
House Rules For Your Puppy
- Don’t let your puppy bark at people.
- Also, don’t let them jump up at people either.
- Don’t allow them to beg for food at the dining table, or to bark for food.
- Don’t allow them to chew your slippers or shoes.
- You should only permit them to chew their own dog chews.
- Decide if you’re going to let your puppy up on the furniture. If you’re not, you need to enforce the rule from the start to prevent confusion.
- Don’t let them decide their eating times. Put out food for your puppy and if they don’t eat it right away, take it away again. Being the one who decides when to eat is one of the keys to establishing yourself as the pack leader.